In the United Kingdom, Europe and Australia, natural oil floor finishes have a long standing history. Commercial and residential customers have consistently placed emphasis and importance on wood’s natural characteristics, colour, grain and warmth.
In recent years, the North American flooring market has undergone a similar transformation. More often than not, homeowners and developers are seeking out environmentally-friendly flooring solutions that not only compliment an interior décor, but that allow the raw, exposed beauty of wood to be enhanced and showcased.
Advantages of Oil Finished Floors
In contrast to urethane finished hardwood which creates a chemical plastic barrier on top the wood, an oil finish will permeate each plank and molecularly seal the wood fibres. This makes the wood stronger. While people tend to fear oil finishes thinking they are vulnerable and more exposed, an oil finished floor will be watermark and stain resistant. On the off chance a stain occurs, it can be removed by re-buffing and re-oiling the the area.
Other advantages of oil finished floors include:
• Ease of on-site oil application.
• Improved colour blending.
• Low-sheen, matte appearance.
• Superior slip resistance.
• Antibacterial properties.
• Easy buffing and blending of scratches without having to remove furniture or moving out.
• Rich, natural finish that allows the wood to hold its warmth in fall/winter months.
• Stunning patina as the wood ages.
• Potential Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) credits.
Maintaining an Oil Finished Floor
There is a misconception that oil floors have to be re-oiled on a weekly or monthly basis. This is simply not true. Depending on foot traffic and the commitment to regular care, re-oiling may need to occur every 3-5 years. However, a truly well maintained floor may never need re-oiling.
At Logs End, our team takes great pride in educating clients about proper floor care and routine maintenance. Some of the key pointers we regularly impart, include:
• Routine dusting, sweeping and a gentle vacuum (no beater bar) to help remove dust and dirt before it scratches and dulls the oil finish.
• Always wipe-up and clean spills immediately.
• Avoid “all-purpose” cleaners, which can leave a nasty residue or damage an oiled floor.
• Use the recommended, specially formulated cleaner from your hardwood manufacturer.
• If required, apply a manufacturer recommended oil refresher in high traffic and/or water spillage zones
While an oil finished floor may require re-oiling from time to time, the benefits of quick repairs, scratch removal, and colour blending will ensure the floor ages gracefully.
Discover the Natural, Refined Look
Logs End is a wood flooring company committed to making a difference. Instead of cutting down new-growth trees, we focus on eco-consciously retrieving lost timber from the heyday of the 19th-century Ottawa Valley log drives. At Logs End, we promise that our products will bring exceptional beauty and elegance to any wood flooring project and proudly offer low-VOC natural oil finishes as an option on all our wood species and plank sizes.
Come visit the Logs End showroom in Ottawa – located at 66 Iber Road in Stittsville. We are open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.